This past weekend some of my husband's family came to visit.
In my world, guest = baking.
I have been all about trying new recipes lately. Some have been good, some have been ok, and some have been great. This recipe falls under the great category, so I just had to share it.
These only have candy corn in their name because of their appearance.
They taste like an amazing sugar cookie with just the right amount of frosting.
Not too blah, not too sweet, just right.
I love that you could make them for any occasion and just change the colors to suit it.
Sugar Cookie Bars
Recipe adapted from Cookies & Cups
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons flavoring (I used Princess Cake & Cookie Emulsion by LorAnn Oils* - this stuff is amazing! but you could use almond, vanilla, lemon, whatever floats your boat.)
5 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt, I used Kosher
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
orange and yellow food coloring (or whatever colors suit your needs) - (I used AmeriColor Yellow & Orange*)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Line a 9"x13" baking dish with foil, and spray light with cooking spray. Set aside.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together. (I did all the mixing in my stand mixer, but you could do it by hand with a lot of elbow grease.)
4. Add eggs and flavoring. Mix until combined.
5. Add flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix until combined.
6. Divide the batter in half and color half orange and half yellow.
7. Spread the orange layer in the prepared pan.
8. Layer the yellow dough on top of the orange dough. I found this was easier when I took small sections the yellow dough and flattened it in my hand and pieced it together in the pan until all the orange is covered.
10. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
Frosting - You probably won't need this entire amount of icing.
1/2 cup salted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup butter flavored vegetable shortening
4 cups powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
1 Tablespoon vanilla (DIY Vanilla Extract)
white food coloring if you want a true white color - I like AmeriColor Soft White Paste*
1. Beat the butter and shortening together until smooth.
2. Slowly beat in the powered sugar, vanilla, and milk.
3. Beat on medium until fluffy and smooth.
4. Using the foil, remove the bars from the pan.
5. Spread the frosting on the cooled bars.
6. Cut into triangle shaped bars.
I'll Be Linking Up At These Parties!